There’s plenty of good work to do right here in town.
Youth Summer Service Week (YSSW) provides area high school-aged youth with an affordable, local week-long urban mission experience each summer. A diverse cohort of youth participants learn together about and work with local agencies who house the homeless, feed the hungry, better the environment, and care for our neighbors in need.
YSSW is open to rising 9th-12th graders (minimum age 13) interested in volunteering in Durham and Orange counties, while learning more about our community and themselves. Students accepted into the program will spend a work week on a supervised team working on a variety of service projects, talking with community leaders, and reflecting on the service work we do. Participants will also receive leadership and team-building training and learn about housing, hunger, poverty and other issues facing the local community.
We are excited to be providing two different programs for YSSW 2013! Each session will be centered around a specific need in our community: housing or hunger.
- "Nourish" will focus on hunger. Participants will spend a portion of their time learning about hunger and food sources through onsite tours, conversations with leaders, and smaller service projects. In addition, they will learn cooking skills as they work on the primary project—preparing and serving evening meals to a variety of non-profit shelter and meal-support organizations in Durham. "Nourish" will operate from June 17 - June 21, 10:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. daily, with orientation on the afternoon of June 16.
- "Home" will focus on housing. Participants will spend a portion of their time learning about homelessness through onsite tours, conversations with leaders, and smaller service projects. In addition, they will learn construction skills as they work on the primary project—building wheelchair access and completing minor repairs for a home in Durham. "Home" will operate from June 24 - June 28, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. daily, with orientation on the afternoon of June 23.
Both HOME and NOURISH sessions are filled for 2013.
If you would like to be placed on the waiting list for this session,
contact Christyn Klinck at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each week of the 2013 YSSW will begin on Sunday with orientation, safety training, and team building activities. In addition to the primary projects, participants will spend Monday through Friday working on various smaller projects, learning about a variety of services offered in the area, discussing and reflecting on our work, and dining together.
- Participants are expected to be present during all of the YSSW activities and programming.
- Transportation between work sites, a noontime or evening meal, and adult supervision and leadership are provided.
- Tuition is $325 per person. Limited scholarships are available.
For more information about YSSW 2013, please contact Christyn Klinck at email@example.com
To apply to YSSW 2013, go to our Sign Up! page. YSSW partners with the Volunteer Center of Durham to support the Mayor’s Award for Community Service, which recognizes youth who complete at least 100 hours of community service in Durham, Orange, and Wake counties during the summer months. YSSW participants will earn between 30 and 35 hours per session which can be applied to the Mayor’s Award. For more information about the Mayor’s Award, go to: www.thevolunteercenter.org
Each session is limited to 14 participants, so apply now!